I don't think four months is the longest I've ever gone without posting, but the time that's passed since I last wrote in May has managed to be both quiet and extremely eventful at the same time. I've been out of EVE completely more often than not over the past three months due to a slew of RL troubles, which have only recently begun stabilising. In the past couple of weeks, however, the relative malaise of my internet spaceships time has turned around significantly.
September 18 marked the achievement of one of my largest personal goals in EVE Online. If you've read my blog or spoken to me very much in-game, you likely know that I hold The Tuskers in very high esteem. I think it's fair to say that when they claim to be one of EVE's premiere lowsec PVP corps, it's more than simply idle bragging - among other achievements, they're sitting in the #2 lifetime spot and #1 recent activity on BattleClinic as a corp at the time of this writing. On the 18th, I logged in to where I've been living lately in Hevrice, the same system that the Tuskers base out of. To my surprise, there were a wall of corpmates in local where I would normally see a wall of red standings. The reason? My application to the Tuskers had been accepted.
I've had a couple of people ask me since then why I chose to leave the Black Rebel Rifter Club, my previous corp. There was no drama involved - R1FTA are a fantastic group of pilots and great fun to fly with, and I'm still on very good terms with the lot of them (at least, as far as I know!). The two main reasons that I wanted the change of pace came down to playing style and time zones. The Rebels are very much a solo corp, and mostly fly various forms of frigate hull. I prefer flying with gangs and in heavier hulls; to date, I think I have more kills in a Hurricane than any other individual shiptype. Compounded by an activity level tilted heavily toward EU TZ when I live in western Canada, I would often find myself in situations where there would only be two or three corp members online, each doing their own thing in completely different parts of the EVE galaxy.
Usually I alleviated my boredom by talking to friends in other corps and joining their gangs, which was good fun, but eventually I had to come to grips with the fact that I was only really a member of R1FTA on a social level - I kept in contact with friends in the Tuskers just as much as my corpmates (or more so), lived in Hevrice when my corp was based almost fifty jumps away in Heild, flew heavier hulls in Tusker gangs rather than frigates in R1FTA gangs... you get the picture. After my RL-enforced absence gave me time to think it all over, I made the decision to apply to the Tuskers, and they welcomed me into the corp.
Since joining the Tuskers I've gone through what seems to be my regular style of activity - a relatively large number of kills in a single day interspersed with a few days of boredom. The 18th and 19th, my first couple of days in the corp, had no kills and no losses. (I'm not even entirely sure I undocked those days. I THINK I did, but apparently I didn't find anything.) Then, on the 20th, I added the following to my killboard: Vagabond, AFK linky Tengu, Raven Navy Issue, Hurricane, Drake, Wolf, Rifter, Ishkur (flown by top-ten BattleClinic pilot Kate Mosh) and a second Hurricane. Killmails will be forthcoming, as EVE-kill is currently down and I strongly dislike BattleClinic and Griefwatch.
No comments:
Post a Comment