If you're at all familar with my background in EVE and in this blog, I'm sure you can agree that I'm eminently qualified to write a post on carebears. (Yes, you may start laughing now.) Admittedly, a lot of the thoughts in this post come from the fact that since I started writing this blog, I've seen myself as less and less of a carebear than I have in the past. Eventually, it lead me to wonder exactly what defines a carebear in the EVE sense, specifically in the context of lowsec PVP.
My thinking on this topic started a few months ago while having a chat with some of the ladies in the Women Gamers of EVE channel. We were discussing different types of ship fittings, and without quite realizing what I was getting into (the fits were related to highsec missions), I started offering a few points before realizing that I'd absent-mindedly been thinking along the lines of fitting said ship for PVP, rather than PVE. The response of one of the ladies in question was, "Yeah, Dian, but you're mostly a PVP pilot anyway."
At the time, my reaction was a fairly surprised "I am?", but as I thought about it more, it made sense. In conversations around that time I hadn't referred to carebearing much at all, and the times that I did, it was mostly in the context of how I didn't do it very much. Fast forward to about a month ago, and much to my surprise, I found myself actually being slightly offended at being called a carebear - and even more strangely, the comment was made in jest by an experienced PVP pilot. (The surprising bit was that was made in jest, to be clear.)
When did that mentality change? When I first started PVPing, and even up until a couple of months ago, I quite freely referred to myself as a carebeat (with varying levels of seriousness). I honestly didn't expect to find myself bristling at being called a 'bear, especially since I'd worn the title with a mixture of humour and pride for so long. At some point, I was struck with a thought that was entirely too logical: If I objected to being called a carebear, I must know what they are, right? Well, you'd think that, anyway.
I've heard it said before that the majority of the people in EVE have done something "bearish" at some point, simply out of a need to make ISK. (This depends on how broadly you define "bearing", of course. For my purposes, it's anything that isn't directly in competition with other players - mission running counts, even in lowsec, but trading often doesn't since you're effectively fighting other players - you just rack up ISK instead of killmails.) We all have to pay for our pewpew somehow, right?
Then I tried thinking of it in terms of the amount of time spent doing said activities, but that didn't work so well for me either. When it comes down to a per-hour basis, I spend far more time running FW missions than I do actually PVPing - it's not uncommon, when I'm missioning actively, for me to spend a good ten to twenty hours a week running missions for the sake of paying for ships that I can lose in half that time in PVP. (Or, in my case, to spend it all on ships and faction modules that I'll fly 'sometime' and never quite get around to undockng. I can't tell you how long I've had a faction long point that I keep wanting to fit to my Lachesis, only to have the ship go up in flames after every time I consider it.) So, at least for me, I can't really claim that I spend more time PVPing than I do carebearing for the sake of paying for PVP.
Ultimately, the answer for me was that it came down to what I enjoy the most. That probably isn't a stunning revelation, but it was something that I found worth thinking about. I think the change in my interests is a better indication of my EVE life than anything else I can possibly measure. What does this mean for me? Well, you'll notice that at the top of the page, the title of this blog is "Tales of a Recovering Carebear". In a sense, the question of what a carebear is has been the central theme of this entire blog. (Just for the record, I don't particularly have anything against people whose primary source of enjoyment in EVE is carebearing. Needing to "recover" from that mindset is a joke, not a strike out at the PVE community in general.)
Have I recovered from my bear-ness to the point that I can consider myself a "proper PVPer"? I don't know that I have an answer to that, partially because I've spent so long thinking of myself as "a carebear who happens to PVP" that I find it strange to think of myself as having turned into "a PVPer who happens to carebear". I think I'll have to let that percolate for a while and see what happens.
In the meantime, if you've gotten this far in reading this post and feel the urge to make a comment, please do so. I'd like to see what other people think about what makes a carebear, especially if you used to consider yourself one and have since changed your mind.
My thinking on this topic started a few months ago while having a chat with some of the ladies in the Women Gamers of EVE channel. We were discussing different types of ship fittings, and without quite realizing what I was getting into (the fits were related to highsec missions), I started offering a few points before realizing that I'd absent-mindedly been thinking along the lines of fitting said ship for PVP, rather than PVE. The response of one of the ladies in question was, "Yeah, Dian, but you're mostly a PVP pilot anyway."
At the time, my reaction was a fairly surprised "I am?", but as I thought about it more, it made sense. In conversations around that time I hadn't referred to carebearing much at all, and the times that I did, it was mostly in the context of how I didn't do it very much. Fast forward to about a month ago, and much to my surprise, I found myself actually being slightly offended at being called a carebear - and even more strangely, the comment was made in jest by an experienced PVP pilot. (The surprising bit was that was made in jest, to be clear.)
When did that mentality change? When I first started PVPing, and even up until a couple of months ago, I quite freely referred to myself as a carebeat (with varying levels of seriousness). I honestly didn't expect to find myself bristling at being called a 'bear, especially since I'd worn the title with a mixture of humour and pride for so long. At some point, I was struck with a thought that was entirely too logical: If I objected to being called a carebear, I must know what they are, right? Well, you'd think that, anyway.
I've heard it said before that the majority of the people in EVE have done something "bearish" at some point, simply out of a need to make ISK. (This depends on how broadly you define "bearing", of course. For my purposes, it's anything that isn't directly in competition with other players - mission running counts, even in lowsec, but trading often doesn't since you're effectively fighting other players - you just rack up ISK instead of killmails.) We all have to pay for our pewpew somehow, right?
Then I tried thinking of it in terms of the amount of time spent doing said activities, but that didn't work so well for me either. When it comes down to a per-hour basis, I spend far more time running FW missions than I do actually PVPing - it's not uncommon, when I'm missioning actively, for me to spend a good ten to twenty hours a week running missions for the sake of paying for ships that I can lose in half that time in PVP. (Or, in my case, to spend it all on ships and faction modules that I'll fly 'sometime' and never quite get around to undockng. I can't tell you how long I've had a faction long point that I keep wanting to fit to my Lachesis, only to have the ship go up in flames after every time I consider it.) So, at least for me, I can't really claim that I spend more time PVPing than I do carebearing for the sake of paying for PVP.
Ultimately, the answer for me was that it came down to what I enjoy the most. That probably isn't a stunning revelation, but it was something that I found worth thinking about. I think the change in my interests is a better indication of my EVE life than anything else I can possibly measure. What does this mean for me? Well, you'll notice that at the top of the page, the title of this blog is "Tales of a Recovering Carebear". In a sense, the question of what a carebear is has been the central theme of this entire blog. (Just for the record, I don't particularly have anything against people whose primary source of enjoyment in EVE is carebearing. Needing to "recover" from that mindset is a joke, not a strike out at the PVE community in general.)
Have I recovered from my bear-ness to the point that I can consider myself a "proper PVPer"? I don't know that I have an answer to that, partially because I've spent so long thinking of myself as "a carebear who happens to PVP" that I find it strange to think of myself as having turned into "a PVPer who happens to carebear". I think I'll have to let that percolate for a while and see what happens.
In the meantime, if you've gotten this far in reading this post and feel the urge to make a comment, please do so. I'd like to see what other people think about what makes a carebear, especially if you used to consider yourself one and have since changed your mind.
To me, a carebear is someone who prefers to not PvP. We all have to make ISK, anddoing it from a pure PvP standpoint is pretty hard. In my corp, we kick carebears, ie people who spend more time ratting and such instead of PvPing, attending CTAs, joining roaming gangs, and the like. Even the logistics people we keep like to PvP (carrier pilots, JF pilots, etc), but no one call them carebears because they're pretty active combat-wise.
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about this, but Truen1ght pretty much nailed it. While the reasons for each player maybe different, the preference to not PvP is what defines a carebear.
ReplyDeleteAt the same time this allows very many different kinds of carebears: some truly don't like PvP and instead prefer to play Galactic Trading Tycoon, others would like to PvP, but simply aren't good enough at it.
I too think the dividing line is preference for PVP over PVE. I am still a carebear although most of my time in game the past few months has been spent learning PVP or on incursions with PVP occupying the majority of the time most recently. However even though I'm more involved with PVP I still live in high sec, I still look to PVE as my main source of income, and when I want to relax I plan missions instead of going on a roam.
ReplyDeleteThe biggest tie to staying a carebear is income. I think if I had fairly extensive funds to allow me to spend time losing ships without feeling the loss I'd enjoy PVP more, but with my limited income I can only afford to lose limited ships. I like PVP but I don't have the ISK to battle full time.
I once was a deeply disturbed carebear... then I moved into a wormhole and that cured THAT.
ReplyDeleteIn my corp we tend to refer to our ISK making non-Pewage activities as Carebadgering cause we live in -1.0 W-space and 'bear' Sleepers... =]
But as we do live in -1.0, when we have 'visitors' we get excited not skeered, and we fight if there's a chance in hell of winning, keepin in mind it ain't 'bearish' to sit in yer POS in yer Drake when you got x2 Tengs, and a Domi on scan...
So yea... 'carebears' are them as want to mine and mish and fly round EVE and not "have" to pew pew... them as whine and get all mad when their pretty picture of a ship turns into a pretty picture of an asplosion...
In truth, can't say I like it much either... but then I just go out and buy a new blingy faction sumthin and I feel all bettah!! LOL
[22:38:10] Cyber Ten > Corp Asset Replacement Excercise Bringing Extra Ability Resolution (CAREBEAR)[
ReplyDelete22:38:49] Cyber Ten > its not great, but the best acronym i've been able to think up
[22:40:25] Dian Lung > well, do me a favour and post a comment with it, or I"ll forget :P